Pages

Sports

FIFA to start grassroots football school in Mizoram .


Guwahati: Football in the northeast is all set to receive a huge boost as world body FIFA, in association with the All India Football Federation (AIFF), has agreed to set up an academy for developing  the game at the grassroots level in the region. This grassroots school will be initially a one year project and it would be completely sponsored by FIFA. The international body will send their coaches and supporting staff as and when required to run the project. All the football enthusiasts between the age of 6 to 12 will be provided international level coaching during the training sessions.

Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza win French Open mixed doubles crown



Paris: India's Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza won the mixed doubles title at the French Open on Thursday, defeating Santiago Gonzalez of Mexico and Klaudia Jans-Ignacik of Poland 7-6 (7/3), 6-1 in the final. 

Saina wins Indonesia Super Series Premier event

Jakarta: India's Saina Nehwal won her third title in Indonesia, beating Xuerui Li of China 13-21, 22-20, 21-19 in the Super Series Premier event here Sunday.
Saina got the better of her gritty opponent for her second title in as many weeks. She had won the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold in Bangkok last Sunday.

India name Wim Koevermans as new coach

NEW DELHI: India named former Dutch international Wim Koevermans as their new football coach on Friday on a two-year deal in a bid to improve their dismal fortunes.
The 51-year-old replaces local incumbent Savio Medeira, who served as an interim coach for six months following the resignation of Englishman Bob Houghton last year.

Saina sets her sights on the Olympics

Vatti Vasanth Kumar,state Minister of Sports, Tourism and Culture, congratulating Ace badminton star Saina Nehwal who returned to Hyderabad on Tuesday during a press conference in Hyderabad. Photo:M.Subhash
The HinduVatti Vasanth Kumar,state Minister of Sports, Tourism and Culture, congratulating Ace badminton star Saina Nehwal who returned to Hyderabad on Tuesday during a press conference in Hyderabad. 

India’s champion shuttler Saina Nehwal is pleased that she featured in some big matches in the Thailand and the Indonesian Opens which she won recently before the London Olympics.
“This is what I was really looking for ahead of the Olympics next month. To play in big, tough matches in the Thailand and the Indonesian Opens,” Saina said on her return home after winning the above two tournaments. She was also referring to the quarter-final clash in the Indonesian Open which lasted 105 minutes. “I think it was the longest women’s singles match in badminton history. Well, this was one of the finest matches I played and I am really happy that I could come out a winner,” she said. 

Wimbledon begins amid tension in Indian tennis

Wimbledon begins amid tension in Indian tennis
Leander Paes, who is apparently unhappy at being paired with a lower-ranked Vishnu Vardhan for the Olympics, is not going into the big event in a good frame of mind. (TOI Photo)
LONDON: India's squabbling tennis players would be eager to prove a point amid a bitter selection row for next month's Olympics here when they take the court at the prestigious Wimbledon Championships starting on Monday at the All England Club.

Since the Olympics will be played at the same grass courts, it is an opportunity for players to get a hang of the conditions but more importantly for them, the event is also a chance to outdo each other and score a few brownie points after the bitter wrangling over who pairs up with whom for the Olympics.

Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna, after having their way in getting selected as a team for the Olympics, would look to do that extra bit in getting a good result here to convince the country that their fight was worth it.

They have done reasonably well since teaming up at the start of the season. They won an ATP title in Dubai and reached semifinals of five other tournaments, including the three elite Master events.

They have been seeded seventh here and have an easy opener against the unseeded pair of Marcel Felder of Uruguay and Malek Jaziri of Tunisia.

Leander Paes, who is apparently unhappy at being paired with a lower-ranked Vishnu Vardhan for the Olympics, is not going into the big event in a good frame of mind but he is expected to leave the bickering outside the court once he starts playing.

Sania's winning combination with Bhupathi has been broken for the Olympics by AITA to appease a sulking Paes but if Sania-Hesh combination yet again delivers a good result, it will put AITA under a lot of pressure and in an uncomfortable position.


AITA has made it clear that only Paes will partner Sania in the mixed doubles at Olympics but a good result in the Wimbledon by Sania and Bhupathi will create a situation where the decision of AITA's will become questionable.


The signing in for the mixed doubles at the Olympics is July 31 and rankings of July 23 will be considered for the seedings.


In the women's doubles, Sania will partner America's Bethanie Mattek-Sands. They have been seeded 13th and face Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia and Sloane Stephens of the USA in their opener.
 

Mumbai Indians to get direct entry to CLT20?

Mumbai Indians to get direct entry to CLT20?
Mumbai Indians won't be playing any qualifying matches and will get a direct entry into the richest cricket league. (TOI Photo)
NEW DELHI: Last year's Champions League Twenty20 champs and the fourth team in this year's IPL standings - Mumbai Indians - won't be playing any qualifying matches and will get a direct entry into the richest cricket league, which is likely to be played in South Africa.

The other from India, which will play in Champions League are 2012 IPL winners Kolkata Knight Riders, Chennai Super Kings & Delhi Daredevils.

Last year, CLT20 had top three IPL teams and the fourth team had to go through the qualifying stage before playing the main tournament. And, KKR had played the qualifying matches.

This year, sources said that champion teams from England and Pakistan (Sialkot Champions) might have to play the qualifying matches. "A discussion to this effect has taken place, now it's up to the council to take the final call," a source told TOI on Saturday.

It was also learnt that the Governing Council of the Champions League T20 will meet in Kuala Lumpur on Monday to decide on the host nation. According to a source, South Africa will inform the council on whether or not they are ready to host the Champions League.

"During the IPL final, South Africa was keen when they were offered to host the league. In all probability, they are ready to host the event," a source close to the development.

The council is also going discuss the budget of the league and the cost involved in hosting the event in India.

Earlier, India were supposed to host the event after it got some round of applause last year and there were sponsors who were happy to see more than two IPL teams taking part in the event.

However, the Indian board offered to shift the event to South Africa due to monsoon and Durga Puja. It was also learnt that the official broadcaster will discuss the cost involving the qualifying matches and logistic costs of the entire tournament. 
 

I want to come back and play for India: Yuvraj Singh


Yuvraj back in NCA, eyes T20 World Cup
Yuvraj back in NCA, eyes T20 World Cup
BANGALORE: Eying a return to international cricket at the World Twenty20 to be held in Sri Lanka this September, cricketer Yuvraj Singh kick-started his fitness drills at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore on Monday.

Yuvraj is not in a rush but hopes to regain 100 percent fitness before resuming to cricket. "I will be in NCA for a while now. I want to come back and play for India, that's my goal. It's not very easy on the body. I have gone through a lot and my body has gone through lot of shock. People are expecting me to come back very quickly, but I don't want to rush. I will have to take my time and come back 100% fit," said the left-hander who single-handedly smashed six sixes in one over off England's Stuart Broad at the inaugural World T20 in South Africa in 2007.

Yuvraj said his body was regaining strength as his rehabilitation progressed. "Feeling good. My body will become stronger stage by stage. Twenty20 world cup is my target. Hopefully I can be ready little before that," said India's World Cup hero, who is recovering after undergoing treatment for cancer in the United States.

In an attempt to impress the national selectors, Yuvraj will be eying pre-season domestic cricket tournaments in the southern states to prove himself. "I have to see the schedule. May be in August, I should play a few tournaments down South. I am not sure about the dates so I have to check," said the 30-year-old who has not appeared in any form of the game since last November when he was diagnosed with lung cancer.

The Shafi Darashah Trophy in Bangalore, Buchi Babu Invitational Tournament in Chennai and Moin ud Dowla Gold Cup in Hyderabad are the three tournaments scheduled to be played in the next three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment